Summer is no where near Seattle right now but I am completely obsessed with overnight oatmeal and it’s a great breakfast any time of the year. When I first tried this, I couldn’t believe how amazingly delicious and easy this was. After the first time I tried it my only thought was: “Next time, must double recipe!”
For the basic recipe you will need:
- 1 airtight container or mason jar (everything tastes better in a mason jar!)
- 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats (do not try to use steel cut or other kinds)
- 1/3 cup milk (e.g. soy, almond, hemp, rice, cow, coconut)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon dried Chia seeds
- 2 teaspoon pure real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup blueberries
Ch-ch-chia! These little guys are a great healthy, vegan source of Omega-3, minerals and fiber. When they come into contact with liquids, they form gelatinous coating and provides satiety.
For a busy grad student like me I need a meal I can throw together fast and overnight oatmeal is a dream come true. I grab a jar, throw in the oats, milk, yogurt, and chia seeds. Then I add the maple syrup and shake it all up!
Lastly add the fruit and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.