This recipe for Basil Cream Chicken is fast and easy, but looks and tastes fancy-pants-y. Great way to make a tasty meal from boring old chicken breasts. Be warned though, definitely not one of those light, healthy recipes! For this recipe you will need:
- 4 chicken breasts (skinless and boneless)
- 1/4 cup milk (or plain soy milk)
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs (I got a bag from Trader Joe’s -great buy!)
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 4oz jar of pimento peppers, drained (optional)
Start by placing the milk and bread crumbs in two separate shallow bowls.
Dip and cover the chicken breasts in the milk then the coat with bread crumbs evenly.
Heat the butter with medium heat in a shallow pan and pan fry the chicken, flipping it occasionally on each side. Depending on the thickness of the chicken it may take 10-20 mins.
Remove the chicken and to keep warm I kept them covered with a glass pot cover. Immediately pour 1/2 cup of chicken broth into the pan and heat up. Stir to loosen the leftover bits in the pan.
When it comes to a boil, turn down the heat and add in the heavy cream (and pimentos if you’d like to add those). Stir for 1 minute and turn down the heat to low just enough to keep it warm.