In my never ending quest to search for delicious, yet easy, yet meaty meals for my carnivorous boyfriend, Marta Steward came to the rescue with Hawaiian Style Short Ribs! These sweet spicy ribs are pretty awesome with some jasmine rice and a side of simply steamed veggies or salad.
Gather up these ingredients:
- 2 red onions, cut into 1-inch wedges, root ends left intact
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs (about 6), cut in 3 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups dark-brown sugar
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or other chili sauce
- 3 cups 1-inch-cubed pineapple (1 pound)
Start by places the colorful red onions, garlic, and ginger in the bottom of your slow cooker. In a bowl- whisk up the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and chili sauce.
Next tightly pack the beef short ribs over the onions, garlic, and ginger. Pour the soy sauce mixture over the meat evenly. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 4 hours until meat is nice and tender.
Add the drained pineapple and cook for 1 more hour. The pineapple provides a citrusy-sweet flavor and gets infused with the flavors of the sauce.
It’s hard to resist when the smell is wafting through the house during those 5 hours, but worth the wait. Maybe have a Mai Tai while you wait?
Carnivore boyfriend approved.