With the new year comes resolutions, with resolutions comes diets. Diets = grapefruit. Like many people I’m lured by the pretty gemstone pink fruit but hate the bitter/tart/sour taste that it’s known for. BUT I found this Broiled Grapefruit Crisp recipe that gives the grapefruit-eating experience an extra little something-something and I am addicted!
To prepare the sweet crisp top, you will need:
- 1/4 cup dry oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 2 teaspoon butter (I haven’t tried any healthier alternatives but I’m sure you can try coconut oil or margarine.)
Mix this all up in a small microwavable bowl and microwave the mixture for just 15-20 seconds to melt the butter. I find this a good trick since I do not usually plan ahead and don’t want to wait for the butter soften.
Prep the grapefruit:
1. Use a knife to cut the grapefruit in half.
2. Scrape out all the seeds.
3. I like use a paring knife and carefully “pre-cut” all the flesh out so it’s easier to scoop out with a spoon later. I run my knife along the sides and then cut along each section.
3. Take the crisp mixture and spread it evenly over both halves. (I sprinkled some hazelnuts on top just for fun.)
4. Pop this in a toaster oven or regular oven and set to broil for about 8-10 minutes, no more than that or else you’ll get “Blacktop Grapefruits”.
In ten minutes you’ve got yourself a warm, sweet healthy little snack/ dessert!
Dig into your resolutions! Before you know it you’ll be reaching for the second half.