I love this simple, refreshing side salad that my mom taught me. All you need is a medium sized cucumber. I got one from the Stonestown Farmer’s Market this past weekend.
- Peel and slice up the cucumber.
- Mix it with salt (to soak out the water) for 1/2 hour in the fridge.
- Drain and rinse the salt off.
- Here’s the fun part: with your hands squeeze out all the extra water from the cucumbers by the handful. Squeeze until the seeds pop out.
- Transfer into a bowl, mix with 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar.
- add sugar and sesame oil to taste.
- Sprinkle in some sesame seeds for extra flavor.
The sesame oil give it a rich nutty taste while the sugar and red wine vinegar balance each other out. This crisp cucumber salad is healthy, delicious and great to snack on. I imagine it would go great with a beef entree (like Korean BBQ!).